Re: [MiNT] HARD-DISK DYING

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 Jo-Even.Skarstein@gjensidige.no wrote:

> > The computer doesn't reboot; it's the hard-disk that coldboots,
> > as in, the hard-disk completely shuts down and restarts, like
> > when you first turn the computer on (tries to find the bootsector
> > and execute the hard-disk driver).
>
> 	---- It still sounds like a PSU-problem to me, but please check the
> following as well:
>
> 	* Has the drive made any weird noises lately (grinding, whining...)?
Only since yesterday.  The rebooting problem has been there since 2
weeks or so.

> 	* Does it get unusually hot?

Not that I can tell, but then it's inside the TT case.

> 	* Are the cables (SCSI, power) OK?

Yep, checked that. Those are OK.

> 	A normal AT-PSU (not ATX!) plugs right in,

I'll try that.  Anyways, the TT's original PSU is a bit limited,
especialy if one intends upon adding several peripherics on VME
and SCSI buses.  I'll ask Best Electronics what model/make they
usually sell as a replacement, since theirs is apparently best.

> older drives can draw a lot of current when accessed, if the
> PSU can't deliver it the drive will spin down.

This is a rather recent Seagate Hawk ST31230N, so it should be ok.

Btw, should that internal drive be SCSI-terminated?  I've heard
several contradictory opinions about that:

1) only the last device of the whole lot should be terminated
2) both internal drive and last external device should be terminated
3) only internal drive needs termination

Which one is it?

The old ST157 that came with the TT had its own resistor packs.

Btw, Jo, could you please configure your mailer to use the normal
"Re:" for replies, instead of the norwegian equivalent?  Thanks.

--
Martin-Eric Racine       http://www.pp.fishpool.com/~q-funk/M-E/
The Atari TT030 Homepage       http://funkyware.atari.org/TT030/