Re: [MiNT] FreeMint 1.15.1 rev 1.3 Beta & CT2 rev B

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 08:12:24AM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> This happens with any FastRAM extension on Falcon. That's why I have never
> experienced memory protection on Atari - I have an ST (68000) for many
> years, and when I got Falcon030 I quickly bought the FX-Card, got MMU
> cookie set by the FX-Card TSR and thus lost the chance to see the
> protection in MiNT working.

Um - why should a fastram driver need to set MMU cookies on a falcon?

> because there are tons of FX-Card/Magnum users that are unable to enjoy
> the memory protection even if they have a real 68030.

The Magnum driver does not touch the MMU, and does not create cookies beside
_FRB and its own ("MAGN" IIRC). I should know, since I wrote it ;-)

A fastram driver only has to
 - check the RAM for presence and size
 - create a 64k buffer in ST RAM and point _FRB there, if not present
 - call Maddalt() for the new RAM block
 - stay resident if necessary
There is no magic or even slightly strange stuff bypassing the OS involved.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen