Re: [MiNT] pid directory

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> > 1) are _all_ daemons expected to write their PID file into /var/run ?
>
> Definitely. /etc should still work when mounted read-only.
>
> > 2) where would I find the pathname used, when it's not declared anywhere?
> > 3) Would there be some sort of unwritten rule that says the PID will be
> >    written in the same dir as the CONF file?
>
> I guess the 'old' scheme (SunOS, maybe old BSD) would be to use /etc,
> /var/adm and similar paths, whereas the 'new' scheme (IIRC a bit SysV-ish)
> uses a more thought-out method (/var/log, /var/run, configfiles in /etc or
> /etc/<program_name>, /sbin for system binaries ...).
>
> You might want to look at the Linux Filesystem Standard, which defines where
> to put what. Conforming to fsstnd would make it a lot easier for people who
> know a modern unix distribution to find things on a MiNT system.

If it's any different than Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, then yes.
I am currently following FHS 2.0 recommendations, but if there are
other standards to consider, then sure, why not.  Let me know. ;)

  Martin-Eric Racine * http://www.pp.fishpool.com/~q-funk/M-E/
  The Atari TT030 Homepage * http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/