Re: [MiNT] DHCP or a like wanted for mint!

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 11:59:12PM +0100, Barry Schut wrote:
> I got me self a cable modem connection, and tried to connect to the isp's
> server ever since, (almost a month now!) i tried many things and various
> helped me trying to solve it... untill i got into #unix and #linux on irc
> and 2 ppl helped me and told me i'd probably need DHCPD for the ppp
> connection... i have asked flinny to take a look, and he did, but he no Mint

Hm - I don't see what you would want a dhcpd for. IIRC, dhcpd is the daemon
(ie. server process) that administers and hands out IP numbers using the
DHCP protocol. This is commonly used for larger networks, where maintaining
IP numbers on all machines gets tedious.

However, you only have one machine, so I don't see why you should need a
DHCP server - you would still have to know your IP, since the DHCP server
will only assign IP numbers tp *other* machines on the net.

Might it be that you need a DHCP *client* instead, so that you can get the
IP number that your provider assignes to your machine (via DHCP)?

Another thought: you said 'ppp connection'. The normal method on PPP is not
to use DHCP etc. - the IP number, nameserver addresses etc. are given by
your ISP's pppd during the PPP startup handshake.

Maybe you should give us a bit more detail what you did and what went wrong.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen