Re: [MiNT] Re: fatal error handling

> > It's very easy to write a program that would be the first (or actually
> > alone) in the AUTO folder and will execute other programs (their names
> This sounds like a sensible idea. In addition, if the program could
> be built around some sort of script or other sequential execution
> description, we could practically do away with the AUTO folder problems
> and messy reordering.

I've been using exactly such a program for several years (since before
the STE first came out) rather than the more common 'booters' like XBoot etc.
I had one of the STEs with a bad DMA chip, so it was a _very_ bad idea to
have a program write to the disk on bootup...

My 'AUTOEXEC.SYS' script contains lines like:
  ?z?m?n?u?p!c:/nvdi/nvdi.prg
which would start c:/nvdi/nvdi.prg if no key ('z' is my default), or any
of 'm', 'n', 'u' or 'p' was pressed on startup.
Works like a charm!  :-)

I have no idea where I got the program but, as Petr says, it really is a
very simple thing to write.

--
  Chalmers University   | Why are these |  e-mail:   rand@cd.chalmers.se
     of Technology      |  .signatures  |            johan@rand.thn.htu.se
                        | so hard to do |  WWW/ftp:  rand.thn.htu.se
   Gothenburg, Sweden   |     well?     |            (MGIFv5, QLem, BAD MOOD)