Re: MiNT 1.15.1.beta-1 problems

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> TT030 (since 1.14) test **no memory protection, it never works**:

I have heard this from others, but I'm currently running 1.15b6 on my
TT (4Mb ST-RAM, 32Mb TT-RAM (aixTT)) and memory-protection works just
fine. Or to be more precise, it works when running a plain
MiNT/N.AES-setup but has problems with KGMD. But this has been the
case for a couple of years, atleast it was on my Falcon before I got
the AB.

> Pressing the RESET button does not reset the hardware as expected.
> Instead, the screen becomes black with tiny white distortion lines.
> After that, the only solution is to completely turn off the TT.
>
> I recall someone recently mentioning a similar problem, after a
> major crash happens on their Falcon.

This happens on Falcons with Afterburners if MiNT is running in
fastRAM, since the resetvector points to fastRAM which doesn't exist
after a reset. MagiC has the same problem, and other fastRAM-cards for
Falcon and ST also causes problems.

> Seems to me that something in MiNT tries to lock hardware control,
> in a way that makes it impossible for external interrupts (such as
> the RESET button) to have any effect, after a crash, thus making it
> impossible to recover from the crash, unless we manually cold boot.

Relocating the reset-handler to ST-RAM would solve many problems on
computers with fastRAM.

/*
**
*/