NEWFATFS and drive permissions

If I enable NEWFATFS and VFAT for a partition 'e' ('BGM'/256k) the
permissions for '/e' (or 'u:\e') are 'rwxrwx---' and owner is 'root'.
That's ok, but how to change this to make this drive accessible for
everyone? I tried 'chmod 777 /e' directly after the VFAT line and it
results in 'permission denied'. Then I set this line before the NEWFATFS
line and between both lines and both ended up in disableing the VFAT
option.
Is there a possibility to change this behaviour (eg. a new chmod) or is
this planned for some reason? It's very bothering to work all the time
as root user.

Hopefully,
	Ralph