Re: Off topic stuff - Calender and clocks

At 16:33 Uhr +0200 29.04.1998, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

>Then, at 45 before Christ, comes the Julian calendar. That is: the year
>starts at 1st January, and is 12 months long. The lengths of months are:
>31 for the January, 28 for the February, 31 for the March, 30 for the
>April, 31 for the May, 30 for the June, 31 for the July, 30 for the
>August, 31 for the September, 30 for the October, 31 for the November and
>30 for the December.

And since the romans didn't have the 0, we have a year -1 (1 before Christ)
and +1 (1 after Christ). We have to thank the romans that the new century
starts on the 1.1.2001 instead of 1.1.2000.
Noone ever fixed *that* bug.[*]

And luckily the romans were no longer ruling when the clock was invented.
Imagine starting the day at 01:01:01 instead of 00:00:00 and ending it at
24:60:60.

[*] Not quite true. IIRC a german Emperor once decreted that the new
century starts on the first January of 1900.

Axel,
who still prefers the shire calender and is off celebrating beltane now.
Happy new year!