Re: MiNTlib PL48 released

On Sun, 17 May 1998 12:49:26 +1200, Mario Becroft wrote:

MB>> The code in crtinit.c for extracting the argv from the environment
MB>> doesn't handle quoted filenames correctly. Modern desktops (Thing,
MB>> Gemini) use ' for filenames that containing special characters, e.g. a
MB>> blank. If you doubleclick the file <i:\with blank> it would be send as
MB>> 'i:\with blank' to the program.

MB>I don't know whether I'm missing somthing obvious here, but surely this
MB>could get very confusing. Wouldn't mean that all the software, including
MB>the command-line tools, would respond to quoted filenames? And since this
MB>has never been the case before, wouldn't it cause some existing things
MB>that use the ' character in the command line to function incorrectly?

First, library change does not affect existing things. It however
affects all newly developed or recompiled (eh, relinked) things.

Actually I wrote a simple program for testing the argv parameter
passing. I was quite surprised that it handled quoted parameters
correctly even with MiNTlib pl46. Then I found out that it handled
correctly both 'quote' and "quote". But it's not a matter of library,
but the shell (bash) was doing that. So basically command-line tools
(when started from shell, which usually are) do handle quoted filenames
since ages.

This Chris' patch helps in "desktop" tools, because it's Thing (and
Gemini and perhaps all other LFN aware desktop replacements) which
provides this quoting. I personally like it, as people tend to drop
files on my PARCP, and PARCP does handle long filenames, so the only
missing thing was correct passing of the filename.

As Yves said, it might not be included in the MiNTlib at last, but I
personally patched my MiNTlib with this and I am satisfied with that.

Petr
--
E-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz                        PARCP developer
   WWW: http://cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz/~stehlik/              MiNTOS/Linux user