Re: PPP dialer (Re: TOS platform)

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> BTW does anybody actually *use* Connexion? I know of two other people
> apart from myself, hardly worth spending time improving it then :-)

I used it shortly, then I found out I have a weird problem on my machine:
pppd doesn't like GEM. I have no idea where the cause lies, but as long as
I don't know, I would advice caution in GEMming pppd..:)

The thing is, when I start ppd from GEM (either from Connexion or by
typing pppd in a shell in toswin), the modem port randomly misses
characters. This either screws up the login process, or makes my
connection useless after a while. The weirdest thing is, that the problem
seems to persist until I reboot (so running pppd from a vconsole on a
second attempt is no good either). I only know one other guy who uses
Connexion and he tells me he never got pppd to work (I still have to tell
him to try and not use GEM for it).

Anyone else got any experiences in this direction?

Oh btw, I use N.AES 1.1.0 and run it "by default" (started from ttytab),
so also when I successfully run pppd from a vconsole.

Maurits.

---

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

          Maurits van de Kamp (maurits@bassment.demon.nl)

    _____    B A S S M E N T   P R O D U C T I O N S     _____
  /     /\\     >> http://www.bassment.demon.nl <<     /     /\\
|      \/   |   / Black Currant                  \   |      \/   |
|   /\      |  |             bc@bassment.demon.nl |  |   /\      |
 \ /=/     /   |  Purple Trance                   |   \ /=/     /
  \\/____ /     \            pt@bassment.demon.nl/     \\/____ /