Re: gluestik and cab.ovl > 1.2704 crashes

  >On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Bernd Ebert wrote:
  >>Hi all,

  >>I just downloaded the new cab.ovl for stik (Version 1.2805) and I found out
  >>that it is not working with gluestik on my hades. Version 1.2704 works fine
  >>but every newer Version causes Cab to crash with a bus error. Is anybody out
  >>there who has more luck, or is there a bug in gluestik?

  >I can't help you exactly with that problem, but there's really no point
  >using the STiK overlay under MiNTNet. The CAB-for-MiNTNet overlay from
  >Howard Chu is so much better, so you would find that CAB works much better
  >when you use this.

  Not necessarily. When using cab.ovl for Mintnet I can't get email to work,
  also authentication is not working properly (at least with my nt-server
  (intranet). Perhabs this is a Problem with my hades060. Some gif-s are not
  downloaded completely (white stripes inside of them) and I can't use the
  ovl with ssl compiled in.

  Greetings,
  				Bernd

  PS: If somebody would tell me how I could get email to work then I would
  perhabs change to the mintnet-ovl. But there is another reason: Gluestik

If you had asked me, I would probably have been able to tell you. I don't
recall receiving any email from you describing your problem. The only email
I can find from you was on Nov 28, asking when authorization would be
released.

  is a fine piece of software and very useful for e.g. to run newsie with it.
  It would be very bad if there is a bug in gluestik.

True. In fact I just installed gluestik last month, so I could test out
newsie.

re: your email problem - have you read the ovldoc.txt file? There are only
two items that need to be configured to make mailto: URLs work - in the
CAB server/proxy menu, you must define an SMTP server. In the CABOVL.CNF
file, you must define your email address. This address will be used in the
"From" headers of all email you send. All mail will be sent to the SMTP
server you specify, and that SMTP server must allow relaying.

re: authorization problem - have you got the latest OVL? There was a bug in
the first cut, it would go into an infinite loop when you successfully
authenticated. This bug was fixed, and there are no known auth bugs in 1.8402
which is the last version I've distributed. I have only made two small bug
fixes since then, which I have yet to release. (In module.h, I had to change
reloadflag from type "int *" to type "short *" since I compile with 32-bit
int's. This bug causes the OVL to always send the ignore-cache HTTP directives
on every request, which is annoying. The bug really only affects people using
a proxy server. The other bug is that the OVL returned -1 (failure) instead of
0 (success) after receiving a Not Modified response to a conditional GET. If
you want these fixes right away, let me know. I figured they were too minor
to justify packaging up a new release.)
  -- Howard