Re: Security stuff

> > I meant, GEM is not problem, because if security stuff would be available
> > and enabled, GEM must be started as root anyways... so all these proposed
> > changes don't touch this theme.
>
> Why must GEM be started as root? I guess 'cause it accesses system variables,
> but this doesn't mean ALL GEM apps access them?

No, it doesn't mean ALL applications do so, but many do.

> > The problem is not with GEM, but with thousands titles of GEM software,
> > which wants to access for example Cookie Jar and which can't be mostly
> > recompiled for new system.
>
> IMO, we have four types of software:
>   * old TOS based progs that access cookie jar etc.
>   * old GEM based progs that access cookie jar etc.
>   * Modern MiNT aware TOS progs that can be made secure with new libs
>   * Modern MiNT aware GEM progs that can be made secure with new libs
>
> I dont see why any modern MiNT aware apps cannot be made secure...

Modern applications can be made secure, but old probably can not.

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz

mail:draco@nidus.mi.com.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus/
 IRC:[Draco]

*** Ea natura multitudinis est,
*** aut servit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur.
*** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono
*** unizenie, albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.
                                           (Liv. XXIV, 25)