Re: News onthe kernel 1.14.x

> > last weekend I spent dealing on the MiNT kernel, especially on its VM
> > extension. Trying to fix it, I changed the assembler part so that it used
> > BIOS logical mode instead of physical reading/writing data using Rwabs().
>
> I tried both logical and physical modes when writing the VM ext and found
> that physical mode was much more stable on my TT. I really think that you
> should add a define so one can set which mode to use when compiling.

Uhm, yes, it is a reasonable idea, but remember it seems the physical mode
works only with AHDI... It is worth checking, why, btw.

> > Surprisingly, it made it more stable! Though VM is not fixed so far, some
> > things became more clean. The VM behaviour is still a bit ridiculous, but
> > I think, if somebody (esp. Sven) would decide to sit and fix it
> > completely, this may help:
> >
> > 1) After a cold restart, when the MiNT welcome message appears, two bombs
> > come on the screen. Now, if you do a WARM restart (Ctrl/Alt/Del), the VM
> > will initialize and start. It was completely unpredictable before.
>
> Could you track down where the buserror occurs?

Yes, I will do it asap (I was outside the city for about 24 hours so I
couldn't do anything with MiNT).

> > 2) VM actually works, but crashes after some time. I wonder if Sven ever
> > decides to put patched pager to his page as he has promised before
> > vacations...
>
> Ehhh *flush* I actually forgot that... When I don't do something at once this
> can happen... You can get the current version I have on my HD at once since
> I don't have that much time to work on it. Nag me if you don't get it tomorrow...

Well, where I can get it from? :)

BTW. Does the MiNT load filesystems (XFS) to the Fast RAM?

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz

mail:draco@nidus.mi.com.pl
     draco@irc.pl
     draco@piwo.bl.pg.gda.pl
     conradus@avanti.orient.uw.edu.pl
     conradus@plearn.edu.pl
     draco@nuova.id.uw.edu.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus/
 IRC:[Draco]

*** Ea natura multitudinis est,
*** aut servit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur.
*** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono
*** unizenie, albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.
                                           (Liv. XXIV, 25)