RE: News onthe kernel 1.14.x

> >> last weekend I spent dealing on the MiNT kernel, especially on its VM
> >> extension. Trying to fix it, I changed the assembler part so that it used
> >> BIOS logical mode instead of physical reading/writing data using Rwabs().
> >
> >I tried both logical and physical modes when writing the VM ext and found
> >that physical mode was much more stable on my TT. I really think that you
> >should add a define so one can set which mode to use when compiling.
>
> The only difference is that in logical mode, the hard disk driver will try
> to make sense out of the boot sector (logical sector 0). Maybe this was
> causing problems.

The stability problems was due to bugs in AHDI's partition handling and
interference between VM and AHDI. I spent a long time tracking and correcting
those bugs but since changing to physical mode fixed all (at that time)
known problems I quit investigating these problems and continued with
other..

I really think that a lot of problems with VM ext on Falcons is due to
TOS4.04 handling of alt mem. I think it's worth the time testing using
the tos patches (not cpu related patches) needed for ab040...

Regards
 Sven