RE: VFAT.XFS versus MagiC

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Julian Reschke-FJR010 wrote:

> >> Adding VFAT-compatibility to the TOS fs should be quite easy, VFAT is
> >> identical to FAT except for the extra entries in the FAT-table (For
> >> the long filenames).
> >
> >yes, that's what I & sven say here, too.
>
> Actually this not quite true. Adding VFAT to TOSFS will be very hard.
> Currently TOSFS just passes system calls to the "old" GEMDOS. Adding long
> filenames means that TOSFS will have to start to write to the disk directly.

Yes, you're right of course. I meant that it's easy to write program for
reading&writting VFAT long filenames. But TOS fs would have to be written
from scratch (just like Sven does for Fenix, IIRC).

I was playing with an idea of writting a TSR program for hooking on
Fopen/Fcreate/Fsfirst/Fsnext under TOS but hopefully I realized soon it
couldn't be done cleanly :-( Rewritting the filesystem code is better idea
(but harder :-) Though we could use source code from Linux...

Petr
--
    WWW: http://ft3.zlin.vutbr.cz/stehlik/home.htm
 e-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz