Re: Ethernet Adapters

  I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask but I'm not on many other mailing
  lists...

  I've recently come across a Xircom parallel port ethernet adapter and was
  wondering if there are any MiNTNET packet drivers for anything like this? If
  not, how difficult would it be to write one - possibly based on one of the
  other drivers.

  My knowledge of programming is slim and writing device drivers even slimmer
  so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas it would be most appreciated...

No drivers exist so far. I wrote to Xircom requesting programming info
for these devices, but never got the info. Also, it is most likely that
standard ST parallel ports don't have all of the signals that are needed
by these devices. I don't know if Falcon parallel ports are capable either.
Without the programming specs, it's kind of hard to say.

Perhaps, if the required signal lines are missing, lines from other ports
could be hijacked for the purpose. Never know...

Personally, I think that SCSI-based adaptors would have more likelihood of
success. There are several on the Macintosh market, although they are generally
more expensive than the parallel-port devices. But again, my queries to the
companies have gone unanswered.
  -- Howard