gcc 2.6.3, another one (pipefs.o) and the fork patch

and while i'm talking about gcc 2.6.3...

 My old uucp server/router box has a new kernel...
i only wanted to try the (no-more) blocking-fork patch now that this
box can compile for 68k (have you built a -O3 mint in 3 minutes?
and this isn't even a pentium :)  Only to discover it now dies everytime
i try to rlogin into it.

 :(  so thats useless, back to the old kernel.

 now the funny thing:  ftp'd over its old /usr/src/mint (1.12h2
with a few patches) rebuilt that with 2.6.3.  and what can i say
the thing then also dies!

 well ok so we'll exchange .o's...  an so it finally turned out
pipefs.o was the culprit, build that with 2.6.3 and you get a broken
kernel, take the 2.3.3 .o and your ok.  (actually not quite, vfork()
now is broken with the fork patch but that has been posted here before
so i guess its not the compiler...)

 oh i can post .s (assembler output) from both compilers if anyone wants
to look at them, i didn't see any obvious problems but maybe someone
else does...  (or wants to play with the kerneldeb.. errm, templmon...)

 still shaking his head when he thinks of this...
	Juergen :)