termios v. sgtty?

Yesterday I compiled editline library (a lot smaller than readline)
and came across the following problem with terminal handling...

With sgtty editline will be in raw mode (no job-control) and with
termios both ctrl-Z and ctrl-Y (normally yank) will suspend the program
:-(.  I guess it's because my ST has a german keyboard layout which I
fix on the auto/ by running a program that changes the keytbl() entries
to QWERTY.

As I'd like the get the termios stuff to work allright, what should I
try / do?

	- Eero