which GCC version?

> I recently been playing with W (it's realy fantastic!) and now want to play
> with the source code and was wondering which GCC version would be the best to
> get.

ATM W source in a lot of flux (source has changed a _lot_ since
W1R2 (graph functions are ordered completely differently and there's
are huge changes in the window managing. The library has also
been reordered). So before doing any radical changes to W(R2), you
might want to wait until W1R3 gets a bit more complete (ie. changes
fully incorporated to other server sources :-). Or you could ask
for the latest developement sources...

> I ask since the last time I downloaded it, I got a version 2.6.1 that
> links GEM libraries in, and I don't want it to do that... I also heard that
> some versions were not recommended due to some nasty bugs.

I compile W with GCC 2.3.3 because of space limitations. For
you I would recommend either (mint) GCC 2.5.8 or the one that
comes with the Knarf's German MiNT Distrib Kit.

	- Eero