Re: TOS 2.06

> I know that this isn't strictly MiNT related, but I don't have access
> to newsgroups, so apologies in advance:-
>
> Does anyone know if there are different versions of TOS 2.06? I had a
> Compo T-board in my (now dead) STFM, and having recently bought an
> STe, I tried swapping the existing TOS for that from the T-board. I
> had always been led to believe that TOS 2.06 could be swapped
> straight into an STe.
>
> Basically it failed to work (yes I did try swapping the ROMs round),
> so what I would like to know is:-
>
>     Can an STe take 2.06 as a straight replacement, or do you _have_
>     to use an adaptor of some sort (such as a T-board)?
>
>     Are there different versions of 2.06 for the STe and STFM, or
>     should it automatically detect the machine type?
>
>     Why didn't it work?

Compare the numbers on the chips. They're different types. Count the pins.
Different number. Now. Look to the right of the sockets, assuming your
motherboard looks like this:

-----------------------------
| PSU |                     |
-------                   =<-- ROMs (2)
|                           |
|                           |
-----------------------------

Now to the right of the ROM sockets you should see two links that
resemble this:

                 []----resistor---[]              []

                 []----resistor---[]              []

(The resistors may be between the center pad and the right hand side. I'm
doing this from memory).

In order to get TOS 2.05 ROMs to work on an STe, you have to desolder the
outer end of the resistors (whichever way around they are), and solder
that end to the opposite pad. This shifts the supply and address pins
around to accomodate for the larger ROM chips.