Re: Remember those tcp blues?

> Now on net-080.
>
> Observe the following two connections:
>
> Active TCP connections
> Proto  Recv-Q Send-Q Local-Address        Foreign-Address      State
> TCP      1891      0 203.4.148.180:1039   203.4.148.1:6250     CLOSEWAIT
> TCP      8192      0 203.4.148.180:1036   129.123.4.76:1138    ESTABLISHED

Are you sure the processes are really exited? When a process exits conections
(should) NEVER stay in CLOSEWAIT or ESTABLISHED. Maybe this is another bug. Can
you reproduce it?

> All of them run the hsmodem 6 drivers, and serialfix 2.0.

Are both hsmodem AND serialfix needed? Don't they harm each other?

> However. No binaries compiled with the old resolver will do name lookups
> from ganelon without the domain name appended. ('nslookup gateway1' fails
> with a format error, but 'nslookup gateway1.brisnet.org.au' works),

Hmm, I thought nslookup uses it's own resolver code (not the one from
socket.olb).

And lookups from thelbane work??

> similarly anything compiled with the compatibility libraries later
> than...about 8 works fine (I have a copy of ping, ncftp, and a copy of
> tinyfugue compiled thusly) but anything predating it fails.

> (a) Can anyone shed light on this behaviour?

The binaries from the Mint/Network directories at all the ftp servers are
linked with a very old library (mostly before 0.56). With 0.56 the resolver
was updated to resolv+.

> (b) Does anyone have a set of binaries linked with the newer libraries?

The binaries that come with KGMD (Knarfs German Mint Distribution) are linked
with the newest libs available. If you don't want to install the whole
distribution you can grep the net.?? parts concat them to one large tar
archive and unpack it.

Kay.
--
Kay Roemer              roemer@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de