Re: AES 4.1 in color Fails with all mh versions

>> > The symptoms are more or less the same - seconds after the boot is completed
>> > (and the mouse is slightly moved) the mouse disappears, and the whole system
>> > jams tight.
>>
>> I mailed to the list some months ago with the same problem, which I found
>> existed when MiNT was not compiled with -DMULTITOS.

>It would be better to fix this bug once and for all than to work
>around it forever.  Obviously, people who can reproduce this problem
>are predestined to track it down and fix it.  (Hint! ;-)
I'd be glad to help, but I've been unable to compile a working version of
freemint with Pure C 1.1. I've tried several options and #defines and have
wound up with binaries with sizes from 120K to more than 200K. None of them
worked (one even bombed), but some managed to load AES (but no accessories)
before jamming. That may be because I had to modify the source slightly.

Namely, Pure C refused to compile main.c as long as do_sync was declared
void do_sync(). The problem is that do_sync calls
addroottimeout(some_num, do_sync, 0). Pure C noticed that the parameter type
was incorrect, so I had to change the declaration of do_sync to
void ARGS_ON_STACK do_sync(PROC *p)

Now if I can get a Pure C version compiled, I might be able to see which
particular #IFDEF MULTITOS is responsible for the fixing of this bug.

>If you are not able to fix it yourself, you could try some
>experimenting.  For instance, does the problem go away if you run MiNT
>without memory protection?  Are you using "INIT=" instead of "GEM=" in
>MINT.CNF?
The problem does not go away if I turn off memory protection. However, if the
memory protection is off, and I switch to 16 colors from the desktop, I get
the color desktop, then after the mouse is moved it disappears, and the system
jams. If the memory protection is on and I try the same thing, the system
crashes (memory violation, type=hardware) while trying to load the desktop.

If I configure the 16 colour resolution in the newdesk.sys (I have a little
program that modifies it on bootup), then the memory protection does not do
any difference. However, how I move the mouse cursor does: if I move the
mouse, the desktop just jams. If I use an ALT-ARROW combination, I get an
error message. I think that one is also memory violation, type=hardware.

Please, could someone put me on the MiNT list? (Or tell me how to add myself)

All this CCing is getting tiresome..

Best regards,
    Matija Grabnar
"My name is Not Important. Not to friends. But you can call me mister Important"
     - Not J. Important
Matija.Grabnar@ijs.si                                 A Slovenian and an Atarian
Josef Stefan Inst. Ljubljana     Stefan's law: the highest power in the Universe
                     I speak for no one but myself.