Re: Standards

On Sun, 30 Apr 1995 bjb@bigbox.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Is there anyway of starting to enforce a standard on programmers to use

Just addressing the issue of standards and enforcement, why not ask
Microsoft that question? Their business is founded on not following the
standards. All attempts to coerce them to do so have failed. I'm not
saying that that is good or bad. Just that it is.

No programmer will follow any standard at all, unless there is some
considerable personal benefit (the damn thing working at all, for
example, or an extra 10% royalties, or a guaranteed increase in income).

Ah...I _did_ leave out an important one for most of us on this list.
Personal satisfaction gained from putting ourselves out for others :) No
doubt this is a distressingly common quality ;)

Late at night, strange mood...The answer is correct, though, no matter
what standards you set, people will still prefer to do things the easy
way unless there is some compelling reason not to. User satisfaction is
not always considered compelling, alas.

Dancer