Re: RTS/CTS and fast modems.

Dancer writes:

> I've just gotten a Supra 14K4 faxmodem. Lovely. However, It won't work if
> I select hardware flow control. I've tried SERIALFX and HS_FIX which both
> install, but stty < /dev/ttya reports '-rtscts' and stty rtscts <
> /dev/ttya will not enable it.

 well there a quite a few broken serial `fixes' out there so this
may well be possible...

> I've tried the HSMODAxx patches. Before mint in the auto folder, and the
> system freezes as soon as MiNT tries to load any .XDD files from c:\multitos\

 hmm.  but this one works for me.  i have the modem on modem2 and a
slip line on serial2 and i can happily ftp over the slip line (38k4)
while the modem is still busy talking uucp-i...

> If I execute them _after_ MiNT, (either from MINT.CNF, or from one of the
> boot scripts, or from shell) I get 4 bombs.

 dunno about the bombs but run _after_ MiNT they aren't very useful
anyway.  at least for programs that know and use MiNTs (nearly)
BSD-like ttys like MiNT-net or uucp...

>  Yes, I execute them in the
> right orer (DRVIN.PRG, followed by MFP.PRG)
>
> I'm using a 4MB Ste. No accellerators, no hardware mods, no other
> funny-business. Just the standard machine. MiNT is 12h3.

 so that means modem on modem1?  i also have a heavily-hacked
serptch2.prg from the days before hsmoda* :), but i think it
won't work on your TOS...  (unless you hack it more. ;)

> Dancer
>
> PS: What's the best MTU to use for this line? It's presently set to 600.
> I can get my ISP to change values for me at will. What's best to use
> (19200 DTE speed, 14400 line speed, CSLIP, LAP-M compression) and WHY?

 hmm i just looked (haven't played with the values yet), currently i
have 552 on one end and 2000 on the other...  and i get ~3.4K/s on ftp
@ 38400 bps, seems ok to me.  no modems on this line though...

 anyway have fun
	Juergen
--