Re: MiNTlibs...

Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>Tamminen Eero <t150315@proffa.cc.tut.fi> writes:

>|> I have begun to wonder about what all stuff is in MiNTlibs.  How on
>|> earth a program that does only one puts() can be 8k stripped?  Eg.  With
>|> the new SozobonX C it's 2k.

>The MiNTlib includes the floating point stdio by default, link with
>-liio to get a smaller prog.

Not with the SozobonX MiNTlibs; the floating-point stdio is in libm.a
(though this will probably change with the latest release).

The culprit here appears to be the startup code, which is doing a lot
more work than SozobonX's XdLibs --- handling the extended ARGV
specification, switching PATH and other specified env vars from TOS form
to POSIX form, et cetera.  Also, the stdio initialization pulls in
malloc() by way of _getbuf(), and a lot of the str*() functions get
pulled in during the env var manipulation.  There probably isn't a lot
that can be done to reduce this.

						-sbigham