Re: gem.sys sources

On Fri, 9 Dec 1994, Eric R. Smith wrote:

> I also wish that we could have gem.sys source code. Unfortunately, this is
> almost certainly *never* going to happen. GEM is the property of
> Digital Research (now owned by Novell, I suppose) not Atari, and the license
> agreement that Atari signed is extremely restrictive. I heard that we
> couldn't even send source code to Atari subsidiaries -- only Atari Sunnyvale
> is allowed to use it!

This was really sad to hear... I really had hoped that someone would be
allowed to FIX the gem.sys to work under/with MiNT-OS. Imagine: Multiple
GEM on the same machine ;^}

> What we (users: I'm speaking here as an ordinary user, definitely *not*
> as an Atari employee) really need is a freeware GEM replacement. I can

Yes, MGR never did became a hit!

> see two distinct possibilities: (1) PRAX (whatever became of that? Michael?),

PRAX? Never heard of? Tell us more!

> or (2) a GEM server running on top of X11. (2) would also have the
> advantage of perhaps being portable to Linux/68K.

I heard a rumour on IRC that the guys who is porting X to Linux also
worked on a GEM/TOS emulator for X-Linux/68K. (I really should join the
Linux/68K mailing list... )

And Now when X11R5 exist for MINT aswell ;^) Maybe that is a soloution,
well the TOS emulation is  already ther in MiNT.. But the GEM emulator
maybe could be ported to MiNT-X!?

Have you tried X for MiNT, Eric? It's quite fun ;^D

> Is there interest in this? Or does no-one use the AES any more?

Hmmm... The AES is quite nice... Just that it has all the Memory it need,
4Meg is just not enough any more ;^(

> (Again, let me emphasize that I'm speaking as a "private citizen". Atari
> is, so far as I know, not particularly keen to lose sales of MultiTOS :-)).

//Robert

d93rkr@t.hfb.se   (Robert Krenn)     _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/   _/ LYNX
University of Borlange, Sweden      _/  _/   _/   _/  _/ _/  _/ _/ STm
tel: +46-243224839                 _/_/_/   _/   _/_/_/ _/_/   _/ STe
http://tpx5.hfb.se:8000/~d93rkr   _/  _/   _/   _/  _/ _/  _/ _/ F-030