Vconx - Virtual consoles: Which ftp site?

Hi all,

Any pointers as to where to find the virtual console driver mentioned
in some recent messages? I've checked umich, uni-paderborn and hensa
without success...

While I'm here, you might be interested in a small hack^H^H^H^Hproject
I'm working on. Basically, it allows me to use a high-speed (14,400bps)
modem at 57600 baud without any hardware mods to the Atari.

Ok, so there is a catch. I had to build a little micro-processor based
interface (it's an mc68hc11 MCU, in case you're interested) with an
ACIA talking to the modem at 57600. It has a parallel port and MIDI
interface which connect to the Atari's parallel and MIDI ports. Data
from the Atari goes to the MCU via the MIDI port. Data from the modem
goes via the MCU to the Atari's parallel port. A hacked up 'modm0dev'
with parallel and midi interrupt code runs on the Atari and looks,
to MiNT, just like a standard serial port.

I've not spent any time optimizing the parallel link's protocol, since
it currently gets around 2.8K/s on ftp downloads using MiNTnet. With
some changes I could possibly get that higher still. With CSLIP it
might run even faster, since the bottleneck is the ACKS going across
the MIDI port. My service provider doesn't offer CSLIP yet, so I can't
try that option. Before anyone asks, my ST has a modified serial port
which will run at 38400, but due to the number of overruns, it performs
worse than if it were running at 19200 baud. So, this parallel port
'hack' flies in comparison!

I doubt it's commercially viable, but I'll continue to work on it
and maybe in the next couple of months I'll be able to upload details
on how to build your own. Of course, if no-one's interested I won't
bother :-P

I'm going to lose net access just before christmas and will be 'off-
air' for a couple of months, so don't hold your breath for updates
on this little project.

Cheers, Steve