Re: Slip with MiNT

>     For those of you that read c.s.atari.st (.tech), I appologize for
> the redundancy.
>     I'm having problems getting slip to run.  When I run slattach, I get:
>
> % slattach -t /dev/ttyb -r 128.2.111.207
> pid  47 (slattach):  pipe_lookup: name `sys$pipe.003' not found
> pid  49 (iflink): if_ioctl: sl: no such if
> ioctl (SIOCSIFLINK):  invalid function number
> connot get interface name

Looks like the slip.xif driver is not loaded? Do you have slip.xif
in /mint/ of /multitos/ of your boot drive?

>     I'm running MiNT 1.10h with Mint-Net 053 on a TT with 4 megs of ST
> ram.  I get this error even if I haven't set up the host for slip, so I
> suspect that it's something wrong with my setup.  Do I need to do
> something special to the modem2 line in my ttytab file for slip?  I've

Yes, you MUST NOT run a getty on this line, so you should have 'off'
somewhere at the end of the /dev/ttyb line.

> tested the loopback using udpprobe, which works fine, but if I try to
> ping localhost, I get "socket: access denied."

Ping must have root priviledges to open a Raw IP socket. So either you must
be root to run ping or ping must be owned by root and must have the setuid
bit set:

chown root /etc/ping
chmod u+s /etc/ping

For this to work ping must reside on a Minixfs partition, ie. NOT on a
Tosfs one.

Kay.