keyboard queues

Sorry if this is slightly off topic....

Is there any way under the current versions of MiNT to put
characters/scan-codes onto the console keyboard queue?

According to my Unix systems programming book, the IOCTL function:

TIOCSTI

should do it, but it doesn't seem to be supported (at least its not in
ioctl.h for PL44 libs)

What I'm trying to do is connect up a DEC LK201 keyboard as an external
keyboard, but use the standard screen as the output device. This keyboard
is serial, and I have all the information about how to convert its scan
codes to Atari ones.

Would I be better off writing a MiNT device and getting INIT to spawn a
login on it (not that I've installed INIT yet? ;-)

Thanks

Roland.

@CiX