Re: SCSI drivers (yet again)

>> I bought it from a shop in Witney, Oxfordshire, which had a large number of
>> these boxes without documentation, cables or power supplies (5 to 12 volt AC
>> or DC, 20W). I can fish out the address if you want it.
>>
>> The boxes were originally designed to be used with the Mac Plus, so it's
>> standard Mac SCSI (25 pin D connector) and the unit is terminated internally.
>>
>> It should work with ACSI and a convertor, though I can't guarantee it. It
>> works on the TT (well it gets reset and accessed by AHDI) as long as it's
>> not been set to a SCSI ID directly after a disk drive and you use AHDI. AHDI
>>

>I do not expect any problems with connecting the hardware to the SCSI
>(or ACSI) port, but I am uncertain about the software. As far as I
>know, ACSI is only able to send class-0 commands; will that be
>sufficient for using the box? Besides, what other hardware will I need
>to set up a network? Can I just link two or more of these boxes with
>twisted-pair wire, or do I need interfaces for that?

I've still to read up on SCSI commands, the commands the box understands are
all 6 bytes long:-

	0x00	test unit ready
	0x03	request sense
	0x12	inquiry
	0x1c	receive diagnostics
	0x1d	send diagnostics

	0x02	clear tallies
	0x05	send ethernet packet
	0x0e	receive ethernet packet
	0x06	set ethernet address
	0x09	set multicast address
	0x0c	set packet reception mode
	0x0d	ethernet receive (OEM ROMs only)

Two get a network working you will need:-

	two boxes
	two BNC coax T pieces
	two 75 ohm BNC terminators
	a length (greater than 2 metres) of coax cable with BNC connectors
		on each end.

>Thanx
>
>Markus

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).