TTY ownership donation

In <9403080935.aa18147@ncrhub1.NCR.COM> you wrote :

>On the SysV boxes here, you have to:
>
>bash% nohup frob datafile &
>bash% ^D
>
>Otherwise the process is terminated as soon as you log out AND kill your
>telnet; telnet from my box stays attached to the SysV box until I kill
>it if there are running processes.

That's correct for sysV - under BSD a backgrounded job is normally nohup.

>I don't know if the tty stays on the SysV box, but as far as my local
>machine is concerned, the connection is still valid.

??? not sure I follow you there - what I was saying is that once the user
on the tty has logged out, the process(es) should no longer be allowed to
attempt to communicate with it.

>Chris Herborth                    \`o.0'       herborth@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM

mike smith : silicon grease monkey  | If you think it can't be done, |
miff@asharak.apana.org.au           | it means you don't have enough |
miff@apanix.apana.org.au            | money in your budget.          |