Re: Suggestions

> > While we now have a write cache with the minix fs, there is a potential
> > danger with it: when someone presses alt-cntrl-del before the update
> > daemon has synced the fs, there is hight probability of file damage.
> > To prevent this, I thought of a mechanism that is invoked on alt-cntrl-del
> > and asks the user if he/she really wants to reboot, send signals to all
> > processes first etc. That way this problem would be non existing anymore.
>
> I'd much rather have the update daemon called automagically when I
> Ctrl-Alt-Del, and the a slight pause of ~ 1 second for the disk buffers
> to clear, and _then_ carry out the reboot.  When I Ctrl-Alt-Del, it's
> usually because something horrendous has happened, and you can't guarentee
> that terminal I/O will be working nicely...

That would be even a better idea, indeed! What about having mint set up
a global update daemon which calls a certain Fcntl for every folder on
drive u:  (maybe also for each device) and ignores if it gets an EINVFN.
This way we would have one update daemon for everything.

Ulrich

--
| Ulrich Kuehn  | Internet:                  | Life is uncertain --  |