Re: MiNT goes UNiX, invitation for mailing list (MINTOS)

> In the following chart, each column lists differences from the column left
> to it.
>
>                       BSD-Net2        DEC OSF/1               Linux
>
> Config files          /etc
> Single user bins      /bin
> Single user root user /sbin
> Temporary files               /tmp
>
> Per machine variable  /var
> Spool directories     /var/spool
> Mail spool            /var/mail       /var/spool/mail
> Big tmp                       /var/tmp
> Logfiles              /var/log        /var/adm
> Accounting files      /var/acct       /var/adm
> Crash dumps           /var/crash      /var/adm/crash
>
> Bins                  /usr/bin
> UCB bins              /usr/ucb        /usr/bin (3)            /usr/bin
> Library files         /usr/lib
> Pgms called by pgms   /usr/libexec    /usr/lbin
> Data files            /usr/libdata    /usr/lib (1)
> Shared libs           --              /usr/shlib              /usr/lib
> Programmer's bin, lib /usr/{bin,lib}  /usr/ccs/{bin,lib}      /usr/{bin,lib}
> Arch. indep. data files       /usr/share                              /usr/lib
> Manuals                       /usr/share/man  (2)                     /usr/man
> Other stuff           /usr/var -> /var
>                       /usr/spool -> /var/spool
>                       /usr/adm -> /adm
>                       /usr/tmp -> /var/tmp
>
> Kit specific (4)      --              /usr/kits/KITNAME/...   --
>                       --              /var/kits/KITNAME/...   --

What happened to /dev (devices), /dump (core dumps), /home (users),
/lost+found (reconnected files) and /proc ? Any others I missed ?

What kinda stuff goes into /sbin? Is it the commands that used to be in /etc?

> Some remarks:
>
> (1) OSF/1 /usr/lib:
>     most stuff are just symlinks, like
>       libc.a -> ../ccs/lib/libc.a
>       tmac -> ../share/lib/tmac
>
> (2) OSF/1 has a symlink
>       /usr/man -> /usr/share/man
>
> (3) OSF/1 has a symlink
>       /usr/ucb -> /usr/bin
>
> (4) OSF/1 /usr/kits/KITNAME/...
>         /var/kits/KITNAME/...
>     These are kit specific and can be installed and deleted separately (via
>     `setld').  A lot of stuff from /usr is symlinked into these hierarchies.
>
> Hmm.. (after some consideration) from my point of view, the Linux column
> looks best.  :-)

Maybe.. allthough I wouldn't want to loose /usr/ucb. I'm not ashamed of
having compiled some Berkeley sources :-).

Regards,
           Waldi  (walra%moacs11@nl.net)