[Freemint-list] FreeMiNT for 21st century

Miro Kropáček miro.kropacek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 06:52:55 MSK 2017

Currently it doesn't mean anything. It's interesting only if you plan to
improve wiki, website or the code. RPMs are dead for good 12 years so I
wouldn't assume any strong movements in that area. This is just a
kernel/source code change, it's not a new distribution, release or packages.

On 19 January 2017 at 10:47, WongCK <wongck68 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi ya all,
>
> So what does all these means?
> RPMS from SpareMint no longer current ?
> Must I get the most updated Kernel and RPMS from this Github ?
>
> rgds
> WongCK
>

> On Wednesday, 18 January 2017, 23:23, Mark Duckworth <
> mduckworth at atari-source.org> wrote:
>

> LOL This is *not* something I worry about.
>
> First the system has RAID5 and I get notified if I lose a disk
> Second the system does daily backups to a local NAS that also has backups.
> Third git is inherently a complete copy by itself so everything in the
> repos is on my local machine.
> Fourth I develop with two separate local machines that always have the
> latest pull.
>
> There are some other bits that don't go into the repos themselves but I
> don't care much about that.  I don't trust cloud services much when it
> comes to my business.  I've trusted both Amazon EC2 and Ramnode because
> I'd be silly to try to host all of that myself.  At least the stuff on
> there is compiled code and not commented source.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>

> On 01/17/2017 05:19 PM, Miro Kropáček wrote:
> >

> > On 18 January 2017 at 01:06, Mark Duckworth <mduckworth at atari-source.org
> > <mailto:mduckworth at atari-source.org>> wrote:
>

> >    I use a local install of gitlab for private stuff (just worried about
> >    the actual security of a private github instance)  I love it.  There
> is
> >    basically no maintenance beyond the initial setup and it just works.
> >
> > Call me overcautious (or lazy :-)) but this still poses a threat when
> > your server's disk dies, your IP has some trouble etc. The chance that
> > github goes down, with its hundreds of thousands repositories and paid
> > clients is much smaller.
> >
> > Not to mention that I have strong feeling that we would have trouble
> > finding even a volunteer what that "initial setup" (FireBee guys fight
> > with /exactly/ same kind of troubles now).
> >
> > --
> > MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
> > http://mikro.atari.org

MiKRO / Mystic Bytes