[Freemint-list] Firebee build

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere at freesbee.fr
Mon Dec 19 15:34:27 MSK 2016

On 18/12/2016 à 17:31, Ryan Daum wrote:
> What's the status of the possibility of building freemint/xaaes from
> source for the Firebee? I came across Vincent's site with binary and
> script,

That script is the best method I know.

> which I guess implies this is not possible without some patching,
> though it is dated from last year.

It is unclear what you mean by "patching".

- The C / Assembler sources don't need patching at all. When there is
something to improve, I always submit a patch to this MiNT Mailing List,
then I republish the official update sources with corresponding
binaries. In other words, I don't want to publish any unofficial
FreeMiNT patches on my website.
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/archives/mint/freemint/

- The FreeMiNT makefiles are quite a mess, they need special steps to
build a full FireBee distribution. Hence my customized build script to
build all relevant binaries for ColdFire.

However:

1) I suspect someone to have recently partially improved the Makefile
situation for build ColdFire binaries. I may have look at that some day.

2) You can always get the latest build of mintv4e.prg there, in the
trunk archive:
http://www.freemint.org/builds/freemint/
Other components are not rebuilt for ColdFire in that archive (unless
the situation has changed recently).

> Just got my Firebee a couple days ago, so just trying to get the lay
> of the land for software support and the OS stack.

My advice is to start with official binaries, and get a stable setup.
Then, if you like to play, you can try to update each component one
after each other. The FireBee software has not changed much for several
years, though, so any update will not bring you much benefit.

--
Vincent Rivière