[Freemint-list] [MiNT] fVDI in FreeMiNT CVS?

Mark Duckworth mduckworth at atari-source.org
Thu Oct 27 07:14:08 MSD 2016

I am going from memory which doesn't work so well these days, but to the
best of my recollection the issue is that git hard codes some type in
the filesystem.  As a result the main issue is that if your repository
has symbolic links, those are actually created on the mint filesystem as
fifo's.

The thing is, I don't think I've ever used a git repo with symbolic
links.  Maybe the freemint repository does but none of mine do.

As a result, I built git for coldfire and use it and haven't discovered
any issues.  It wouldn't be a stretch to rebuild it for tos as well.

The mmap problem as it turns out isn't that big of a deal - as long as
you have a lot of ram.  You just change mmap calls to malloc and munmap
calls to free.  If however the application does wasteful mmap calls (and
this wouldn't be unreasonable since it's just virtual memory) your
memory will quickly be exhausted.  All of the ports I've replaced mmap
with malloc with so far though have worked fine on >=64MB systems.  I
imagine some video editor or something would be problematic.

Git for m5475:
http://storage.atari-source.org/atari/personal/coldfire_packages/2015.09.28_git-2.6_m5475_mint.tar.bz2

Thanks,
Mark