[Freemint-list] Cross Compiling Freemint

mfro at mubf.de mfro at mubf.de
Wed Oct 26 15:56:20 MSD 2016

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. Oktober 2016 um 08:54 Uhr
> Von: "Thorsten Otto" <admin at tho-otto.de>
> An: freemint-list at mail.atariforge.org
> Betreff: Re: [Freemint-list] Cross Compiling Freemint
>
> On Wednesday 26 October 2016 08:27:23 Markus Fröschle wrote:
> > The MiNT build system is a little idiosyncratic, at best, and could well
> > deserve a massive overhaul, IMHO. I have been searching for the "magic
> > keyword" as well for a while that e.g. would make "make installdir" (or
> > similar) work, but it's just not there.
> >

> The problem with this it that this system is not only used by MiNT, but by all
> projects hosted there (mintlib, gemlib, cflib, toswin2 etc).

Actually, it would be nice if that would really be the case. You are right,
the basic structure is very similar, but there are lots of differences.

Only a few examples: gemlib isn't set up for cross compiling at all, mintlib likes
to see a "make CROSS=yes"while freemint requires
"M68K_ATARI_MINT_CROSS=yes make". The mintbin package prefers another flavour and
contains a classic automake-based infrastructure.

mintlib seems to contain the most advanced (and complete) build scripts that
support cross compiling as well as a working bin-dist target that can generate
libraries for other binary targets than only the default 000 one.

This might be the best starting point for a freemint build system overhaul.
I didn't intend to reinvent the wheel at all ...