[Freemint-list] FreeMiNT for Amiga

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere at freesbee.fr
Sat Jun 25 01:56:10 MSD 2016

Hello.

I'm proud to announce that FreeMiNT and XaAES now work on Amiga :-)
See WinUAE screenshot.
It is the result of my recent patches for FreeMiNT on non-Atari hardware.

Facts:

1) You need EmuTOS for Amiga. Snapshot >= 20160606. Release 0.9.6 is not enough.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emutos/files/snapshots/20160614/

2) Only WinUAE is currently tested. No tests on read hardware yet, because
EmuTOS for Amiga is currently provided in the form of ROM only. Without
replacing the physical ROM, it is only usable on A1000 (as it loads the ROM
from floppy) or A1200 with a Blizzard accelerator board (can load a
temporary ROM from hard disk).

3) No need for special FreeMiNT binaries. Get the official mint030.prg from
current freemint.org trunk archive, put it on IDE hard disk and configure it
just as usual. Then it works :-)

4) Memory protection is not supported. I'm not sure of what happens if it is
enabled (maybe by default). So be sure to disable it. Further patch will be
required to disable it by default, if it is not already the case.

5) EmuTOS for Amiga only supports ST-High video mode on Amiga, and it is
ugly. *But* I have almost completed an fVDI driver for WinUAE. It does not
work on real hardware, but it can take advantage of WinUAE extended 16-bit
video modes, with full acceleration. Stay tuned.

6) The TosWin2 windows remain white. There is probably a bug related to
monochrome modes, unrelated to Amiga. We will have to investigate that.

7) Currently, I have only tested mint030.prg, but variants for other CPUs
should work equally well. I will test them carefully.

Enjoy!

--
Vincent Rivière