Re: [MiNT] XaAES: bug(s) in shel_write()

Thanks for confirmation ;)

BTW, in the meantime i'm not using shel_write() any more to start my program, for several reasons. First of due to the problems mentioned above (the commandline will be longer than 126 in most of the cases, and therefor there is currently no way to pass them correctly). Secondly, there is a lot of overhead in doing so: XaAES will execute tw-call, which in turn executes toswin2, which then finally executes the actual program. Another problem is to get the correct exit code, XaAES sends a CH_EXIT message, but of course this is asynchron, and in some cases i get a code of 223 (dunno where this is coming from, maybe a incorrectly truncated -33 (ENOENT)). And finally, toswin2 seems to have a bug when calling the executable: it does not use ARGV in all cases, and does not quote the arguments in the commandline when they contain spaces. That again causes the program to get incorrect arguments.

Another notice: when that program runs as accessory on SingleTOS, it sends the command to the AV-Server via AV_STARTPROG instead. If that server is GEMINI, i also get strange parameters. Quoted arguments are sometimes split into multiple arguments, and in any case the leading quote will be stripped off, but the last argument still contains the trailing quote. Does anybody know a workaround for that? This does not happen when using i.e. Teradesk as desktop.

Greetings
Thorsten

Roger Burrows <anodyne@xplornet.com> schrieb am 4:16 Montag, 8.Februar 2016:

On 7 Feb 2016 at 2:22, Helmut Karlowski wrote:

> Am 06.02.2016, 15:47 Uhr, schrieb Thorsten Otto:
>
> > It doesn't, and that is part of the problem. But it looks at the length
> > byte being 127 (or wiscr being 1). If the length byte is 127, the
> > parameters should *only* be taken from the ARGV environment variable.
>
> Where is that documented?

See this:
    http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/files/ARGV_8-22-1990.txt
It's an official email from Allan Pratt of Atari.

Roger