Re: [MiNT] rpm

On 12/21/2014 06:38 PM, Eero Tamminen wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Fighting with virtual memory is probably a lost cause too. Best to make progress with what we have. And I agree cross compiling is a real headache.

Thanks,
Mark

In theory.  In practice there can be a lot of issues when
cross-compiling SW using autotools etc.

For example, while autotools itself supports cross-compiling[1],
many programs utilizing autotools don't.  Host system stuff
like available headers, features, tools, paths etc leak into
compiled target binaries & scripts, so that they don't work
completely correctly on the target system.

And when you fix such things, and do an update, upstream has
breaked something else.  There's a good reason why Linux
distros do native builds even on slower platforms (e.g.
Debian m68k using Aranym).

When the amount of software is smaller and stable, and/or
"core" SW (which typically supports cross-compilation out
of box), this is less of an issue, but can still be a lot
of work.

When you don't have much developer time, it's better to skip
trying to do cross-compilation where you don't need to do it.
Machine-time is cheap (only problem could be building large
C++ programs, compiling them may require more memory than
the native system supports).

I propose starting from native compilation and just speeding
up slow things with e.g. distcc where the slaves are cross
compilers.

--
Mark Duckworth
Infusix LLC