Re: [MiNT] rpm

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:11:51 , Matthias Arndt <marndt@asmsoftware.de> wrote:

> Am 20. Dezember 2014 12:05:52 MEZ, schrieb Peter Slegg <p.slegg@scubadive
> rs.co.uk>:
>

> >I have heard of Jenkins but not used it, is it like ant or more
> >automated ?
> >
> >How did BSD build VM into their architecture ?
> >

> >Peter
>
> Jenkins can use ant, GNU Make and anything that can be scripted. At work
> we invoke the IAR build tool for example. If you can script it, Jenkins c
> an be tuned to take care.
>
> You basically configure sets of projects and Jenkins call build them auto
> matically on commit or per timetable.
>
> Matthias

It sounds like it does the sort of thigs that TeamCity can do.

The .Net guys use TeamCity in my office and I am in the process of trying to
get a server set-up for Oracle and Java builds.

TeamCity does daily continiuous integration builds and then unit-test runs
to find any issues early.

I don't have an Anarym set-up, I gave up trying to get it to do anything more
than boot to a desktop.

Having a central server where people can upload an archive and have it quickly
cross-compiled would be great.

1. Everyone would be able to see what is being worked on,
2. reducing duplication of effort.
3. If work starts on a lib that be useful to another build then it would encourage
   someone to start on that as well.
4. if everyone an see the build errors then others can contribute fixes to the
   person trying to build that app.
5. could the buid server create mint patches against the original archive ?

Once the app is built it could be used for gentoo or rpm

How would it work ? My thoughts...

Say I want to build libtiff. A request to add libtiff to the builds is made with
a link to the latest version.

The server then attempts a build and reports errors and shows the source of the
module that failed to compile, etc.

The module could be downloaded, modifed and uploaded again so that the server can
generate a diff and add it to the build process.

Peter