Re: [MiNT] kentry version

On 03/25/14 22:02, David Gálvez wrote:
Alan,

I'm going to add PCI-BIOS functions to kentry, so modules drivers will
be able to use them. I'm going to increase the kentry version, if I
understand correctly I should increase the major number because the
kentry main structure's size has changed.

 From sources (sys/mint/kentry.h):

/* ATTENTION!
  * ----------
  * Every structure size modification *must* increase the major version.
  * Every other modifcation must increase the minor version.
  *
  * major and minor are of type unsigned char. I hope 255 major and minor
  * versions are enough :-)
  */

Also there is a define (XHDI_MASS_STORAGE_SUPPORT) which affects the
version number and I think we should avoid that, It messes things up.
We have version 0.18 for kentry with XHNewCookie and version 0.17 for
kentry without XHNewCookie, then if we add PCI-BIOS functions we have
version 1.0 for kentry with XHNewCookie+PCI-BIOS and, which version
for kentry without XHNewCookie but with PCI-BIOS?

I would delete XHDI_MASS_STORAGE_SUPPORT define, this was defined
because we weren't really sure if it was correct to use XHNewCookie
from module drivers, I still think it's OK. Even more if someday we
have a module driver which needs another XHDI function I'd export all
XHDI functions to kentry as it's going to be done with PCI-BIOS.

Then I would add PCI_BIOS functions and bump the kentry's version to 1.0.

What do you think?

Yes, I think it's time to delete the XHDI_MASS_STORAGE_SUPPORT
define.

Alan.