Re: [MiNT] Samba working

On 12/11/13 12:56, Vincent Rivière wrote:
On 11/12/2013 12:06, Alan Hourihane wrote:
In this case, it's our fault, not sambas.

Essentially, FreeMiNT only supports a maximum of 32 file handles. And
samba reserves 20
for it's own internal use with the tdb files. That leaves us 12. Reduce
that by the traditional
stdin/stdout/stderr, and we're left with 9. Not very many by todays
standards.

Very good analysis. I suspected something like that.

Moreover, in the Windows explorer, when you let the mouse pointer over a directory, a tooltip appears to display some information about the folder content. To gather information for that tooltip, Windows silently sends background directory exploration requests which can quickly exhaust the file handles.

I've got some in-progress patches to bump that to 128. Although we could
go higher later.

Excellent.
Of course, ideally it should behave like Linux: the user should be able to set an arbitrary value at runtime. But thing are probably allocated more statically in FreeMiNT.

The user can set an arbitrary value at runtime, just like Linux, but up to the maximum supported file handles.

Samba has an assertion when the file handles are less than 100, which I'm sure you hit, so 128 seems like a good maximum number for now.

Alan.