Re: [MiNT] Software IDE

On 12/10/2013 03:16 PM, Peter Slegg wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:31:25 , Miro Kropá?ek wrote:
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM, <p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk> wrote:

There are lots of open source IDE tools but are any suited
to porting to FreeMint ?

As Jo has pointed out, you need a lot of GEM specific stuff. Plus, as
Mariusz has pointed out :), the coolest IDEs are Linux/Windows specific
anyway so I'm fine using powerful tools on another computer. For me, I'm
happy to have time to develop something for Atari at all, so why bother
spending time on something which would be usable a) for me b) for five
other people :) Better create something for the masses (read: the other
five people :D)

Not all of us use a PC much at home, I don't have the room. I
have a laptop I dig out now and again, the Milan is on almost all the time.

I am not saying we port the biggest, fattest, coolest IDE (Intelij IDEA)
but a small IDE that would make coding of any sort (scripting, html it
doesn't have to mean c) less painful that using a text editor.  In this
situation, the speed of gcc is irrelevant.

There is a Sparemint GTK but that is an old version. (Does this create
GEM apps or X11 apps under GEM ?)  GTK and it's dependencies (cairo, pango)
probably provide lots of features that we could live without in an IDE
so could GTK be replaced with GEM equivalents ? I've no idea I am just
asking.
GTK was dependent on X11 but it would be perfectly reasonable to port the gdk backend to GEM and then you would get pretty reasonable performance on GTK apps. I think a similar strategy was used to port netsurf.

Thanks,
Mark