Re: [MiNT] Packages upgraded

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 20:41:39 , Vincent Rivière <vincent.riviere@freesbee.fr> wrote:
> On 15/12/2013 17:28, Peter Slegg wrote:
> > In theory, could RPM be compiled for Firebee
>
> Probably.
> We should have a look at the RPM dependencies.
>
> However, the RPM program used by SpareMiNT is obsolete. I don't know if it
> would be complicated to upgrade it to the latest version. Anyway, the old
> one would be enough as a starting point. If it can be compiled with GCC 4.x.
>
> > and the sparemint packages rebuilt with the latest compiler and libs ?
>
> When RPM is available for ColdFire, the problem should be exactly the same
> as rebuilding the whole SpareMiNT for 68000.

Do you mean the dependencies ?  I started looking through the rpms
today and there are quite a lot with none or few dependencies.

The packages fall into various groups - core, important tools,
development, non-essential, obsolete.

If the core and important packages could be re-built with the
latest tools that then would be a big step forward.

On a 68060 it could take week(s) but now that gcc can build for any
target it would be less painful on a Firebee.

I am not suggesting the RPMs be updated with new versions of the apps just
that the current ones are re-built, if they can be.

Regards,

Peter