Re: [MiNT] mintlib wide character overhaul

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013, Alan Hourihane wrote:

In the latest glibc's we have stdio-common/ and libio/ which need to be merged with the existing stdio/ directory in the mintlib, given that mintlib is based off of glibc in this area. I'd even go as far as replicating the directory structure and then it should be easy enough to pull in the other locale/ and wcsmbs/ and wctype/ directories to get wide char and full unicode support, obviously including additional include file adjustments.

This isn't a small task though, but glibc does have unit tests for this stuff. So as a first hit, it'd be worth dragging those tests over and just running them to see where we're at.

Is this something you can tackle Jeff ?

I'll be willing to investigate running glibc tests against mintlib if I can sort out how they run. However, I think I'll pass on pulling in glibc's stdio code. Quite frankly, I avoided glibc with these wide character support changes I originally proposed on purpose simply due to the relative level of complexity involved in glibc compared to, for example, the musl standard library.

-Jeff

Jeff Armstrong - jba@sdf.lonestar.org