Re: [MiNT] running MiNT under Hatari

Hi,

On torstai 10 tammikuu 2013, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> I once tried hatari and could not get MiNT running so ...

AFAIK MiNT has run fine under Hatari since Hatari v1.2,
if you disable memory protection.

If you want to enable memory protection, you need latest Hatari
build from Mercurial with WinUAE CPU core build option enabled.
That has now experimental 030 MMU support (Aranym supports 040 MMU).

The main problem is transferring data between MiNT and host.

Hatari doesn't emulate any network interface, there's no NativeFeatures
hostfs and because MiNT replaces GEMDOS handler, Hatari's GEMDOS HD
emulation doesn't work with it [1].

As a result under Hatari you can use MiNT only from disk images.

That leaves only following options for transfering data with host:
* Floppy images (supported by mtools)
* Loop mounting partitions from the hard disk image (requires root)
* Using Z-modem transfers over serial

None of them very convenient, especially as updating HD image data from
host requires restarting the emulation.  (Last one I haven't used with
Hatari, but it has worked fairly OK with Linux ARM boards.)

Btw. Is there any MiNT build which would have a working version
of OLDTOSFS?  Hatari's GEMDOS HD emulation might work with that...

Some analysis of this is here:
http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-
devel/2012/11/msg00074.html

	- Eero

[1] I've used Hatari debugger to re-set Hatari's GEMDOS HD
    emulation vector after MiNT has initialized itself.
    This was to be able to use Hatari's GEMDOS tracing, but
    as with MiNT that works only for the user-space processes,
    it's not so useful as when debugging EmuTOS issues.