Re: [MiNT] Problem with e2fsck

On Thursday 15 November 2012 11:26:25 Lars Schmidbauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > In MiNT fstab, there are entries for
> >
> > Just to be clear, fstab is completely unrelated to MiNT (it's not part
> > of a FreeMiNT release).
>
> I know, but in fact it's included in EasyMiNT and is definetly used by
> some parts (drivers) of FreeMint/SpareMiNT such as fsck and nfs.xfs;
> e.g. NFS needs an entry there when auto mounting a remote folder at boot
> time.

Sure, but the MiNT kernel does not even know such a file as fstab exists. Auto
mounting of NFS drives is neither done by the kernel, nor by the kernel
driver. It's done by a script that has nothing to do with the kernel. I'm just
pointing this out so that you don't waste your time looking for a solution in
the wrong place :-)

> > > Now, is there a function in fsck that allows to set a value for
> > > <pass_no>
> > > or could that be included?
> >
> > Wouldn't removing the line mentioning the drive in question achieve the
> > same thing?
>
> There are perhaps more "MiNT extensions" (SpareMiNT rpms) which use fstab,
> but i found no general informations about that. Most times it's written
> (hidden ;-)) in the related manpages, but there's no info like
> "MiNT programs which uses fstab" anywhere. So i was not sure about this.

That's because no "MiNT program" needs fstab :-) To be even clearer, on my
FireBee, I installed the Gentoo distribution over the Official FreeMiNT Setup.
I have an ext2 partition with the standard Unix hierarchy (with GCC, Bash, and
all the standard Unix binaries), but no fstab file at all.

Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire