Re: [MiNT] XaAES doesn't deliver button events with evnt_multi()

Hi,

On tiistai 11 syyskuu 2012, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > > There is and hopefully never will be a software-interface to switch
> > > the menu on/off.
> >
> > Why?  AFAIK Windows, OSX and Linux all support fullscreen windows, and
> > switching away from them (with the task switcher or its keyboard
> > shortcuts).
>
> Does any current OS have a main-menubar like atari today at all?

OSX does and there are Linux environments like that too.  One of the most
popular Linux distros, Ubuntu, puts nowadays the application menus on top.

Except for that particular feature, you can even test that Ubuntu UI online
in a browser a bit:
	http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/

> I could imagine adding the menubar-option to app-options (sould be easy)
> - and also exporting the app-options to the application, so it can set
> them itself (maybe not so easy).

Why not window WM_FULLSCREEN option?

Fullscreen is a window properly, not menubar a properly.

If application doesn't have windows, hidden menubar doesn't make
much sense.  Whereas fullscreen window makes sense although app
wouldn't have a menubar.

App might even have some windows that are fullscreen (image viewing
window) and some which aren't (image info window).

I'm not completely sure what should happen if fullscreen window isn't
the one on top, but you could either:
- make WM_FULLSCREEN window hidden when it's not the topmost one, or
- just other windows and menubar on top of it based on the stacking
  order and with the implied clipping.  E.g. desktop is typically
  something like that on the bottom of the stack

On these other OSes, application can also toggle its windows fullscreen
property.  At least on Linux, it's the OS that takes care of everything
related to fullscreening (hiding menu/panels etc), not the app.  App just
toggles the property.

> But then Peter Persson comes along and complains about violating his
> hobby, so ...
>
> I still remember the surprise when I made menu=off the default ;-)

That was change in desktop behavior, not opt-in functionality for
applications.

As it comes to fullscreen windows, as long as user can switch to another
window/application (for which AES would then enable menu and show
the windows if that window isn't in fullscreen) everything is fine
from the user perspective.

Actually better than now, because there are many things that would
improve from proper fullscreen support; browser, image viewers, games etc.

	- Eero

Only problems with fullscreen apps on Linux have been when they
change the resolution and crash without restoring the original
resolution, but that problem you already have, WM_FULLSCREEN
support wouldn't change anything in that regard.