Re: [MiNT] Invalid S?_MAGIC

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:49:00 , Peter Persson <pep.fishmoose@gmail.com> wrote:

> And somehow I feel like this is the Windows Vista approach, and I hate
> it.

Never used it.

> > Nothing is really gained by automatically killing an unsuspecting
> > app other than forcing people to turn MP off.
>
> Sure it is. That's how it's supposed to work. Processes should not be
> allowed to do nasty stuff, in such case they should be killed instantly.
> That's the whole point, and the alternative promotes bad coding imo.
>
> > In an ideal world none of this would happen but we have a far from
> > ideal world with lots of legacy apps written for single tasking or
> > making bad assumptions about the OS. A user friendly solution is
> needed.
>
> Imo that user friendly solution is to run without memory protection.

So if we have one app that occasionally does something that causes a memory
violation we should run the whole system without MP ?

Surely it's better to protect the system as much as possible but
be pragmatic about the majority of apps that were written without
considering MP ?

This is the general problem when dealing with legacy apps that have
to be maintained.

Regards,

Peter